Friday, September 24, 2010

September Groceries, Week 4

Odds and ends this week... and finished!

Another trip to Costco for tortillas (they were out the first time), salsa, and cereal (impulse buy) - $24

Milk, eggs, and chicken from the farm - $26

Target goods arranged by my 3 year old :

Wipes (sale+coupon), dish brush (not pictured because my daughter was playing with it), carpet cleaner (yes, we have Oxyclean, but...), peanut butter (an impulse buy because it was marked down), shower gel, and pasta shells (usually I don't buy white pasta, but this is for a particular dish where I prefer it) - would have totaled $22 , but instead was $0. Yay for a giftcard, whoo-hoo!

I dislike walking out of a big box store feeling like I spent my money on a bag of unsubstantial stuff.  That's how I felt.  Only about half of this stuff is necessary, but the stuff that isn't will at least make my husband a happier man.  (He hates not having a dish brush or the kind of foamy carpet cleaner he likes...)

This left $8... which I just spent today on the items below at Aldi:

I went for some bananas and tomatoes, but got the other items as well when I saw that they were marked down... everything I got was a great price!

Ghiradelli brownie mix - on clearance for 99 cents (my husband can take this to work when he has to take treats), onions - 3 lbs. for 69 cents (will chop and freeze), multi-colored peppers - 3 for $1.29 (will slice or chop and freeze), avocados - 29 cents each!, bananas - 39 cents a lb., and tomatoes $1.39.  A note on tomatoes from Aldi - usually I prefer their pesticide free ones that are like 3 tomatoes on a vine for $1.49 but these looked mushy today so I got the Roma tomatoes instead.

We will want milk by midweek next week, so that money is just going to have to come from another envelope - thankfully there is some there!

So, I know I said I wasn't going to stock up on frozen pastured chickens from the farm to last us through winter, but I think I am going to try to get enough in the freezer for at least one per month.  That means 7, in order to last until next May... they are small, so I think they will fit in okay.  That's where most leftover cash (from other areas of the budget) from this month will likely be going.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails