I was seriously embarassed by the amount of highly processed food in my grocery cart when I checked out at Aldi last week. Barf! I was getting things for my husband's hunting trip, where he was cooking for the group. Then I realized how silently critical I can be of other people's grocery carts... Oops.
Anyways. Well, there's my disclaimer, so you know I wasn't buying all this for my family. The massive amounts of processed meat, the chips, candy, snacks, and soft drinks = for the hunting trip. (You may not be able to tell from the picture, but there are 5 packages of bacon, 3 tubes of breakfast sausage, and 3 packages of bratwurst there!)
I made two grocery runs this week. I hit Aldi and a local grocery store on the first run on my day off and two local grocery stores on my way home from work later in the week. The photo is from after the first run. The second time I was in a hurry to get the stuff in the fridge and freezer and didn't take a photo. Sorry! I also picked up one gallon of raw milk and one whole pastured chicken from my carpool gal. Oh -and organic grapes and apples at Whole Foods for $1/lb.
I fess up that I did buy 2 loaves of not-pictured Sara Lee "fake" bread (fake, for those of you who have read In Defense of Food). It was 99 cents and helped me stay in budget. The cereal came out to about 33 cents a box with no coupons! If I had had coupons, I would have been getting paid to take it home. The store was running an instant rebate of $10 if you buy 6 boxes, plus you get a a coupon for $6 off your next shopping trip (which I used the next day). So I basically paid $2 for 6 boxes of Cheerios. I don't typically buy that much cereal, but it sure is handy to have around for when I feel like being lazy so I couldn't pass this up.
After getting reimbursed from those hunting guys, I am right at $104 spent so far out of the $400 grocery budget for the month.
I am hoping to condense the next few weeks' shopping trips into one Costco trip. Stay tuned!
Menu plan coming tomorrow...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I won't buy Sara Lee bread anymore. After reading the ingredients on the side of the pkg.
And why does it take forever for this kind of bread to spoil....
Post a Comment