Saturday, November 13, 2010

Quality Toys for Preschoolers

I appreciated and enjoyed Sarah's round-up of toys her family likes... especially since she has 5 children and knows what will stand the test of time across the age ranges.

I have shared about a few particular toy items before:

Green Toys Tea Party Set

Radio Flyer Tiny Trike

Here are a few more thoughts on quality toys...

Last year for Christmas we got our daughter (then 2 years old, now 3) this Schwinn Roadster.  It did not disappoint!  It was a little big and heavy for her at first, but now she has learned to pedal and can manage it just fine.  It looks so fun and fast (and very shiny and retro, too) - I wish they made them in my size :)  I am hoping for several more years of use out of it for her, and our little boy, too.

This year, I would like to get them a good snow sled or saucer, so I have been scouting things out in this area...

Ok, now to backtrack a little bit.  When my daughter was 18 months, I asked co-workers for recommendation on toys for Christmas that would stand the test of time.  One suggestion that we listened to was a play shopping cart.  I had originally wanted a classic metal or wooden version, but in the end, I am glad we have a plastic Little Tikes one because it has run into the walls many times!  My kids both seem to love push toys, so a shopping cart is a good gender neutral one.

A no-brainer item that both my children like is play food!  The younger one just likes to take the pieces in and out of bins, while my older one likes to take my order and make me lunch with them.  We have a couple differenct sets that people have gotten for us - my favorites are the wooden ones with non-toxic paint.  My 3 year old loves the slice-able kind, but we have to watch the little pieces with my 1 year old, so this is a special toy we get out for when she wants to play with it at the kitchen table.

As far as books, we love the P.K. Hallinan books as well as I am a Bunny (a family favorite).

What recommendations do you have?

If you write a related post, be sure to link up over at the end of Sarah's original post... it will be up and running for awhile.

1 comment:

Taking Heart said...

We have one of the old lil tikes shopping carts that a coworker gave me from her daughter (she's ten now)... my four year old plays with it nonstop and has for a few years now... great pick for sure!

Related Posts with Thumbnails