Friday, June 6, 2008

Plaza III Steak Soup


What do I serve company? Well, the last time we had company I made chicken enchiladas. The time before that we had pasta and before that time, fajitas. So I have to go awhile back to find a new or unique recipe... I know you may not be in the mood for soup, but save this recipe for the fall. It is very rich and meaty and mmm... good with buttered bread.

I made this for a large "couples" baby shower that we hosted one October evening. I made the recipe x 8 to make 32 servings. I just had 2 big stock pots of it on the stove with mugs and spoons (and bread and butter of course) set out and people helped themselves and mingled throughout the house. Even one guy who confessed he doesn't typically like soup commented on how rich and good it was, and that he liked it. He said it shouldn't be called soup. :)

I'm guessing with the cans of beef consomme and the bouillon it has some preservatives somewhere, but when I am cooking for a large group I worry more about making what they will enjoy than what is "healthy" in my eyes. It is a party, afterall! (Does that make me a hypocrite?)
Here you go:


Plaza III Steak Soup

4 T. butter

1/4 c. flour

2 (10 oz.) cans beef consomme

1/4 c. diced carrots

1/4 c. diced onions

1/4 c. diced celery

1/2 cup chopped canned tomatoes

3/4 t. Kitchen Bouquet

1 beef bouillon cube

1/4 t. ground black pepper

5 oz. frozen mixed vegetables

1/2 pound ground beefsteak, browned and drained*


Place butter in a soup pot and allow to melt without browning. Add flour and stir to form a roux. Cook the mixture for 3 minutes over medium heat without browning, stirring constantly. Add consomme to the roux and stir until smooth and lightly thickened. Bring to a full boil.

Add the fresh vegetables, tomatoes, and seasonings, and allow to return to a full boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are just barely tneder (20-30 minutes). Add frozen vegetables and ground steak. Simmer an additional 15 minutes. Be sure to cook long enough that the flavors become well blended.

This doubles very easily. Freezes well. Serves 4.

*A couple notes for anyone as inexperienced as me when I was shopping for ingredients. (I had to call my mom and my mother-in-law while at the grocery store for help.) Beef consomme is with the soups. I found Campbell's beef consomme on those soup dispenser shelves. Kitchen Bouquet I think was with the steak sauce?? It was a dark bottle with a bright yellow label. And I used plain old ground beef. Other hint: Don't omit any ingredients, or you won't get the full effect.

This recipe is from Melinda, another ol' teaching buddy who is a exceptional caterer on the side. I feel I must add that this recipe might not look simple, but it really is. It is also a pretty balanced (meat and veggies together) and even frugal (I figure less than $1 a serving) meal for serving a large group. Enjoy!

Visit A Latte Talk for other "Company's A-Comin!" dish ideas.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Wow, this does sound really good. I will indeed save it for fall and make it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails