(l-r: dollar store dry wipe, Imse Vimse liner (washed a couple times), and Up & Up wipe)
Along with those dollar store dry wipe liners, I am also continuing to use the Imse Vimse flushable liners. They can usually handle making it through a wash cycle to be reused if not soiled. I still use the infant size on my almost 20 month old.
By chance, I happened to stumble upon a third option that is working well for us, too. Up & Up wipes, washed and dried. While my favorite disposable wipes to use straight out of the box are Huggies, I have found that the Target Up & Up brand baby wipes are great to use, and then wash and reuse as diaper liners. The don't shrink in the laundry cycle, but come out soft and durable. (Note: All other wipes I have tried this with shrink like crazy. Let me know if you find another brand besides the Target ones that work well, too.)
With the wipes as liners, the super messy ones that aren't worth the trouble of rinsing in the toilet go straight into our garage trashcan with the dog stuff. Since they are uber cheap, I don't mind tossing them into the abyss. I realize that it might be better ecologically to rinse them and flush the waste down the toilet to be properly treated at the sewage plant and then launder the liner, but sometimes something's gotta give. At about 2 cents or less per liner (for the Up & Up wipes), it is a lot cheaper than throwing away a disposable diaper! The Imse Vimse liners get flushed of course, waste and all, since that is what they were created for.
Now that we are well into the toddler phase of diapering (past the breastfeeding infant phase), I am no longer making my own cloth wipes. Why? Because I guess I am lazy and some used wipes are so nasty that I just want to toss them in the trash with the liners. So, buying the Up & Up brand wipes to use for faces, hands, and bottoms, and then laundering (when not too nasty) and reusing them again as diaper liners makes me feel a little better. It is a second use for something I was going to buy anyway and throw away. It feels like getting diaper liners for free!
I hope this is helpful to some of you out there... feel free to share any other diapering tips or suggestions you have!
I hope this is helpful to some of you out there... feel free to share any other diapering tips or suggestions you have!


13 comments:
I use fleece from Joanns as liners, great because they stay dry but using the wipes is an idea too! We are going through a yeast rash, any suggestions? My 4 month old is allergic to disposable diapers.
My daughter had trouble with yeast at a couple points, too, and these three things in combination took care of it:
1. Lotrisome cream
2. antifungal wipes recipe
3. no more prefolds, Bumgenius instead
Good luck!
What is the anti fungal wipes recipe? Interesting about the prefolds, I will have to consider that but I am using the fleece which is stay dry. I have plenty of bumgenius however she is still a peanut and prefolds are not as bulky.
this is genius. i've never even thought to use a liner inside my bum genius. i use the up and up wipes regularly. i will totally try this. thanks!
Carrie, I think it is somewhere here on my blog... try the google search on the side for antifungal wipes recipe. The main difference is some vinegar.
Anti-fungal recipe:
Distilled water (or boiled water cooled off)
3 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
3 drops Lavender Essential Oil
I have used some flushable liners a couple times, but I can't remember the brand… something off of Amazon. The first time it bunched up and was pretty much useless. The second time I tried it the poo was on it (rather than the diaper), which was good.
Have you heard of a book called "The Diaper Free Baby"? I checked it out recently from the library and have been doing Elimination Communication part-time with my baby (who is 10 1/2 months old now). I know it sounds crazy to sit a baby on the potty, but it has actually worked well for my little guy.
Could I just buy a package of the wipes and throw them in the washer and dryer without ever using them? I'm guessing so, but what do you think? I really just want something to lie on top of the insert to hold poop and be able to throw in the trash...something cheaper that works like the disposable ones they sell. Do they work like that? Cause if it they do I don't mind spending a little over $1.00 for about 100 wipes that are gonna make me 100 liners instead of paying 10.00 for the same amount or twice the amount.
Anonymous- I have not done that, but I don't see why not... the only problem could be doing a bunch at once and not putting anything else in with them might make them all stick together and then you'd have to separate them. Let us know if it works out for you!
Any rashes from doing this? I live 1hour away from a target but am going to be in that area the end of this month...I will let you know how it goes when I try it. I do put them in the dryer though right?
No rash problems here. Yes, I put them in the dryer.
Do you wash the wipes with your dirty diapers? I'm wondering if the "soap" in the wipes is harmful to the diapers?
Lyndsey, I washed everything together using Charlie's Soap in my front-loader machine and didn't notice any issues affecting the diapers.
Great post. Just wanted to point out you might want to put them in a mesh bag if you have a frontloader. They can get sucked out of the drum in the spin and clog your filter (fixable diy, but if you don't realize, you can end up with a blocked drain or a service call)
Post a Comment