That's what I did for Lent, along with a coworker. Well, we gave up desserts and candy, really. My husband couldn't understand why. He asked me why I don't just eat it in moderation and use self-control. That's when I realized I really did have a problem and needed to do something about it. Because I told him that when I take one bite that is all I can think about until I get some more. Then before I know it, I eat the whole bag/batch/pan/carton, etc. I was addicted. It was bad for me. And I needed to do something about it. So I gave it up; telling myself that desserts were no longer for me.
I have messed up a few times so far.
- At Bible study one week we had ice cream and homemade hot fudge sauce.
- I grabbled some chocolate candy sitting around at church.
- I made chocolate chip bars for my husband's work, and then ate the leftovers.
- My husband brought home donuts one Saturday morning.
- I ate a handful of chocolate chips from the cupboard. I figured was if I finished them up, then I wouldn't want to eat them anymore... Can you say flawed reasoning?
But now, I feel empowered by the fact that I know I can quit it, if I want to, and if I equip myself .
These past several weeks, I have not regretted turning down a dessert. When I tell myself, "No, that's not for me," I never feel worse for it later. The regret and bad feelings come when I am not self-disciplined. The fleeting taste is not worth the bad feelings later. I do have keep something around to snack on, though. I still get hungry about 3pm. I just eat something different. (I have often found myself eating some leftovers from the fridge or making a sandwich and a glass of milk at this time of day... That's healthier than the alternative.)
To tell the truth, if I had been happy with my figure, as I typically am, I don't know if I would have been motivated to do this. My motivation was not a spiritual one as it should have been for Lent. Instead, it was selfish. They stretchy post-baby gut was harder to lose this time around, and I needed all the help I could get. If you are wondering if a sugar fast like this could make a difference for your appearace, I will say that it has for me. Nothing drastic, but I can tell. But then again, I have been working out more, too, so who knows.
What I do know is....
It is freeing to not be a slave to my addiction.
I may always be a sugar-addict, but I can be a recovering one.
Those have been good things for me to learn.
I am looking forward to baking again, starting next week, after Easter. But I am going to be putting some limits on myself and what I make and keep in the house. I'm not sure yet what I can handle... I'll keep you posted.


3 comments:
I'm trying to give up sugar too..I have a horrible addiction. I've given it up before and I know I felt better and lost weight.. It's so hard...almost everything out there has sugar or HFCS in it!
I miss baking, too. Not even so much the eating as the hands-on of it all, you know? Don't get me wrong...tasting my creations is quite a perk...
I really like baking. I don't like what eating all those goodies does to my waistline :( I'm getting my baking fix by making homemade granola cereal. It's much cheaper than buying it and doesn't have white sugar in it. My husband loves it - it reminds him of the granola he grew up eating. Best of all I get a baking fix and the house smells soooooo good afterward.
Post a Comment